Friday, March 25, 2011
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Monday, March 21, 2011
How to catch a zander ???Zander (pike-perch) is a fantastic sport fish well known in almost whole Europe. it grows over 20kg (44 pounds), but typical catches are much smaller of course. most common are zanders between 1 and 6kg (2 - 13 pounds). Zander is a close cousin of American walleye.
Zander fishing is VERY popular in Poland. That is why you need to find some special lures or techniques to achieve success. I have got 3 main types of lures, that I use regular
- Relax kopyto, california, clonay
- Lunker city shaker
- Dragon lunatic
3) Last, but not least group are slender crankbaits and slashbaits. They are fantastic lures, when zanders come to shallow spots to feed on fry. Most people use them only in rivers, but I do this in lakes and dam reservoirs too. In this group I use mainly:
- Salmo sting 6cm, 9cm floating, suspending and sinking
- Rapala husky jerk, original
- Kamatsu jointed minnow
- Salmo minnow shallow runner and super deep runner
Friday, March 18, 2011
As most of you know I prefer spinning, casting and sometimes flyfishing, but a few times every year i fish for carp and amur (grass carp). First successes came 2 years ago...
In this night there was only one carp - 10LB. It was a good sign and we could keep on fishing and luring.
We came back 2 days later at 3PM. Of course we started with a ground bait and then we start to fish. At 11PM my friend Adam had the first bite but we did not land this fish. At 1AM in the middle of night on there was a delicate bite on my rod. I thought it is a small fish because I felt no resist. When i had it near to the shore we saw (using torch) huge grass carp. Adam saw it better and he rated it for about 30lb - 35lb. The fight started! After 10 - 15 minuts (i had a 30lb monofinament) we put this fish to a landing net, but it was still strong and tore a hole in net, broke the line and gone away...
I was mad and angry so i couldn't sleep... At 7AM I had next bite. This time we land beautiful almost 30lb grass carp and until 3PM we had 7 carps between 9lb and 14lb. It was fantastic day.
We have been fishing in this spot a few times more and every time we caught some carps and grass carps. Never came home with nothing.
1) Shimano Nexave 3,3m 20-50g with Tic GD 4059
2) Shimano technium 2,7m 50-100g with Shimano SUper GT-RB 4000
I used to have other rods and reels, but i am still buying new equipment :)
Ready for bite!!
Any questions? Ask with a comment!
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Danube Salmonis close kuzyn of syberian taimen. They both are the world biggest salmonidae species. I heard about over 200lb taimen! Normal size of danube salmon is between 10lb (~30in) and 40lb(~50in). Sometimes 60lb. In Poland you can't take danube salmon if it is smaller than 70cm(~28 inch). There is also limit - one fish per week.
Most of anglers releases all of them because it is very rare and beautiful fish. In Poland we can find danube salmon in 3 big mountain rivers: San, Poprad and Dunajec (on my photos) and sometimes in big dam reservoirs on this rivers (like Czorsztyn, Rożnów, Solina). This fish needs clear, cold and deep water, but sometimes when feeding (mostly on trout, grayling, chub and barbel) it comes to 2 feet depth.Danube salmon favourite feed is big fish. Often between 10in and 20in. Sometimes even bigger! That is why it is necessary to use big lures - mostly crankbaits.
This fish is a night predator. It feeds mainly between sunset and sunrise, but in Poland is forbidden to fish at night in most of mountain rivers. That is why it is very difficult to catch. I didn't catch one yet, but i had a few bites. Once i lost it before landing. There are people who try to catch it for 10 years or more without result.
I live over 200km from the nearest river with danube salmon so i can't fish there often. My friend who lives 15km from Dunajec caught already (during 12 years) over 90 danube salmons bigger than 28 inch!!
For three years i collected a few best lures for danube salmon. Of course there is much more of them, but they are very similar.
Recipe to catch danube salmon is:
- Come to Poland to Dunajec in Sromowce in November when it is snowing and it is cold and windy
- Start fishing with sun rise
- Use long (9 - 10 feet) and heavy (up to 4 - 5oz) rod - I use Shimno technium 2,7m (9 feet), 50 - 100g (2oz - 4oz).
- Use light, but strong reel - I use Penn Slammer 360 with 30lb monofilament
- Use big crankbait(6 - 8 in) imitating trout
- Fish slowly, cast across the river, look for deep spots and underwater obstacles like big stones.
- Be very PATIENT. You can come here for a week and leave with nothing...